Home

Start a new search!

CHARDONNAY 2017 WO Hemel-en-Aarde Valley, Walker Bay
Vintage Assessments Tasting Note Producer HAMILTON RUSSELL
Bright medium straw colour. Intense, complex, maturing, toasty, spicy, ripe lemon meringue nose with some key lime pie and cedar notes. Dry, medium-full bodied, well structured, slightly spicy, intense, warm ripe lemon meringue flavours and a long, lingering, lime-tinged, fairly high acid, toasty finish. Has 13% alcohol and 2 g/L residual sugar. TONY ASPLER / 91-points / TRY - Mildly reductive, spicy nose of apple, lime and toasty oak; medium to full-bodied, dry, apple and lemon flavours with a toasty clovey note on the finish. The recommended 2016 (***) was released on September 30, 2017 at $43.95. CSPC 931006
Type White Table Wine
Agent Tri Alt
Country South Africa
Region
Rating ***(91 points)
Intense, Complex, Spicy
LCBO Note Status Recommended by Vintage Assessments!
TASTING NOTE: The entire portfolio of 2017 vintage Hamilton Russell wines is amazing...But the star is the flagship Chardonnay...it is a triumph. Grown in one of the most southerly wine estates in Africa...the vineyards which overlook the ocean are blessed with a stunning maritime climate. 90% of this wine has been barrel fermented and aged for 9 months in French oak barriques of varying ages and a variety of toast levels. The remaining 10% is aged in large foudres, stainless steel and ceramic eggs...The results are delicate and impossibly elegant. It is pure, pale, innocent and yet firmly structured on the palate and incredibly long. It has every element of Chardonnay which I admire and it does it with Zen-like calm. I think that you will like this wine very much indeed. (Matthew Jukes, matthewjukes.com, April 6, 2018) Price $ 44.95
Bottle Size 750 mL
Tasting Date vintages release - July 7, 2018
Cases bought 159 (6 bottles per case)

Check LCBO Availability

Score:    - Poor   * Very Basic     *+ OK    ** Good    **/**+ Very Good    **+ Excellent    *** Outstanding    ***+ Superb

Copyright Vintage Assessments 2018
Prior written permission is required for any form of reproduction
 (electronic or other wise) and/or quotation.
Contact Michael Vaughan at mbv@uniserve.com